Which Madonna song describes your current life situation?
Amanda believes there is a Madonna song for every occasion.
It’s spring. This means some important things are happening. Easter candy is appearing in grocery stores, spring allergies are getting into full swing and life is a crazy whirlwind.
As I was getting ready this morning, I listened to Madonna’s greatest hits (As per her CD “The Immaculate Collection.”) Did you know that it is impossible to not be in a good mood when grooving to The Material Girl’s infectious music? It is!
I also like that her songs evoke a sense of emotion in me, much like my beloved Taylor Swift’s music. And since we are in the midst of the fluctuating and flirtatious spring season, I figured I would give you a Madge song for your mood.
• Impatient and/or annoyed. Check out “Hung Up.” No, it’s not the 1980s Madonna we know and love, but this 2005 single reached no. 7 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. It sounds ABBA-esque, and the ticking of a clock in the background only adds to the intensity of the toe-tapping frustration conveyed by the lyrics. Key lyric: “Waiting for your call baby, night and day/I’m fed up, I’m tired of waiting on you.”
• Lucky and in the mood for a little stargazing. This one is a no brainer. You need to jam out to “Lucky Star.” This is classic Madge from 1983. The B-side of the record was the wildly successful “Holiday.” Need I say more? Plus, some “heavenly body” puns are just suggestive enough to make you involuntarily grin. Key lyric: “You may be my lucky star/But I’m the luckiest by far.”
• Thankful/grateful. Listen to “Cherish.” A little slower, but with great tambourine. I like the spoken round near the 3:30 mark. The music video has mermen in it, which is simply marvelous. While it may be slightly cheesy with references to Romeo and Juliet, the sentiment is nice and empowering. Be careful, this song might convince you to share your true feelings with others! (According to Wikipedia, this single was Madonna’s 16th consecutive top-five single, which set a record.) Key lyric: “I can’t go, baby can’t you see/Cupid, please take your aim at me.”
• Sooooo over it. Ready for a change? Groove to “Express Yourself.” This is the original “Born this way,” where Madonna tells you to respect yourself, express yourself and wave all that emotional baggage “Goodbye!” You are awesome, and you shouldn’t put up with any crap. You should be appreciated. Key lyric: “You deserve the best in life/so if the time isn’t right then move on.”
• Fierce. This one is a no-brainer. Strike a pose with “Vogue.” Key lyric: “You’re a superstar.”