The final finals week: a survival guide
Maybe it’s just me, but I always feel like I have a lot of free time during finals week. As somebody who has been chronically over-scheduled throughout college, a week with no meetings or commitments can seem wide-open and even lonely.
Between the mountain of studying/writing I have to complete and my complete apathy for schoolwork right now, I can already tell that this is going to be one struggle of a week, especially as I begin my summer internship and begin to focus on my future.
Here is my plan to survive finals. I don’t know if I advise that others follow my strategy, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to share.
• Sleep: I plan to take no naps during finals week. Naps are vampires that suck up motivation and creativity and productivity. Plus, they screw up a sleep schedule. No naps. No excuses. Which leads me to my next point…
• Caffeine: I am going to take it easy on the coffee this week. I will still consume my customary one-and-a-half cups a day, but no more than that. I always tend to over-caffeinate during finals week, which ends up hurting my stomach and making me jittery. No tremors here–it makes typing difficult.
• Diet: Candy, salads, sandwiches. Coffee for breakfast, salad for lunch, a PB&J for dinner (can you tell I need to go to the grocery store?) and plenty of candy during the day. I always indulge in Hot Tamales, raisins and Chewy Sprees while studying. The sugar rush is nice, and it is also an excuse to eat candy.
• Exercise: Honestly, probably none other than running around campus like a chicken with its head cut off. Returning books, delivering forms– trust me, I will do a lot of walking.
•Study habits: Avoid the library. Avoid Skutt during the day, when construction is happening. Avoid my house, where I get distracted by my friends. Avoid a coffee shop, because I am broke. (If anyone has any suggestion about where to go, I’m all ears.)
• Study breaks: Going to the grocery store and/or Target. Perhaps blogging, as well as waxing nostalgic about college.
• Study music: Country internet radio. Why? Because country = summer, and summer is so close. Remind myself of the good times right around the corner.
That’s all I can think of now. Anything I missed? Tweet it at me: @Amanda__Brandt